Tuesday 13 August 2013

Claret vintage series: Notes on the 1997 to 2000 vintages

Beyond 1996 my knowledge and experience is a bit sketchier than for the vintages I have written about in detail, i.e., 1978 to 1996, excluding a few less successful vintages, plus less detailed write ups on 1970 & 1971 and 1975 & 1976.

1997

Overall vintage rating ***

This rating may be conservative. Most 1997s I have tried have been easily accessible, easy drinking wines, though the first growths and their equivalents are outstanding.  I tried Latour this year and it was very impressive, and still seemed to have its best years ahead of it. When I tried it with the three other Medoc first growths in 2001 it was, however, the least impressive of the bunch. The pick was Mouton Rothschild which was gorgeous, but Margaux and Lafite are special too. I tried Lafite about five years ago and it was still pretty tight. Haut-Brion was quite tight, tried about the same time, and probably on a par with Latour. I tried Cheval Blanc  a couple of years ago and as with the 1995 and 1996 it really is a splendid wine. It probably challenges Mouton for wine of the vintage. I would love to own some of both.

The two outstanding wines, or values, in this vintage are Pichon Baron, which is a fabulous ‘Englishman’s luncheon claret’ which was very accessible from a young age, and the Cru Bourgeois Chateau Poujeaux, which made a delicious claret several levels above its station in 1997. Beyond that my exposure to 1997 has not been particularly prolific.  I had a so-so bottle of Montrose a few weeks ago because it was served far too warm. I didn’t buy this vintage because ludicrously prices were higher than for the 1996s. Consequently the wines didn’t sell. A couple of years later prices were slashed, in some cases by more than 50%, and these were bargains were worth snapping up – stuff like Ducru 1997 for about £200ib – but I missed out. The only 1997s I own are cases of Lafite, Haut-Bion and Yquem, for my daughter Josephine, her birth year, and the odd bottle of Poujeaux.

Favourite clarets in 1997: Poujeaux, Pichon-Baron, Mouton-Rothschild, Cheval Blanc

1998

Overall vintage rating ****

Within that overall rating it is three stars for the Medoc and four/five stars for Pessac Leognan and five stars for the right bank. I own a lot of 1998 Bordeaux, but I have drunk very little of it, apart from the odd taste here or there. In the Medoc I have all four first growths, in Pessac a total of seven cases and six cases of right banks, all focussed at the top end. I have tried all the first growths, and they should develop well, but it won’t be a great vintage like 1995 or 1996 for the firsts. However Mouton and Lafite are very strong in 1998. Beneath first growth level, little has impressed me in the Medoc. Just lots of average, not particularly interesting wines. I invested in a lot of Haut-Brion, a wine which has a bright future but for now is still ferociously tannic. For current drinking Haut-Bailly is a very good.

On the right bank I recently tried Figeac, which is becoming sublime as it starts to enter into secondary development. Clos De L‘Oratoire is a modern, albeit hard wine, I don’t get on with. I have relegated it to the back of the cellar or earmarked them to give away. Tertre-Roteboeuf is a sex bomb, and am going to release my case of this at year end. I also look forward to broaching cases of Cheval Blanc (no hurry) and Belair. The latter I tried recently, and it is a lovely old style St-Emilion. In Pomerol I own quite a lot of VCC, which is nowhere near ready, and a bit of Le Pin and some Certan De May. Not sure whether to sell or drink...Overall I am pretty happy to be fully invested in these 1998s. They are after all 15 years old now so I won’t have to wait too much longer.

Favourite clarets in 1998: Mouton-Rothshild, Figeac, Belair, Tetre Roteboeuf

1999

Overall vintage rating ***1/2

My perception is that 1999 is probably a hypothetical blend of the previous two vintages, but in truth I haven’t drunk all that many 1999s, and I don’t own  many either, as I was starting to wind down my buying in the year 2000. For some reason I went very long of Cheval Blanc in 1999, and I have two cases plus a case of Petit Cheval, which I have started to broach and is in a good place (but it is not profound). Cheval Blanc itself should turn out just fine, but it still needs a bit more time. Latour, which I also own, needs quite a lot more time. Other than those I own small quantities of exotic right banks, Lafleur and Le Pin. The latter I have tried twice and it is spectacular, and probably walks away with the wine of the vintage moniker.

Probably its most serious challengers are Mouton, only sipped once, but gorgeous, and Chateau Palmer, which really is a vin de garde and classic Palmer. Happily I own a case of this. But it needs a lot of time. Chateau Margaux, which I have also sipped, is also right up there, probably in the top five or so wines. Otherwise I have been somewhat underwhelmed by other 1999s I have tried, similar to the 1998 Medocs. Leoville-Lascases, for example is atypically lightweight, but still quite tasty. La Mission Haut-Brion is quite a serious wine, but still tightly wound and not one to rush out and buy. Otherwise there are a lot of somewhat indifferent wines in no man’s land: respectable clarets, which are drinking, but with little personality or excitement.

Favourite clarets in 1999: Mouton, Palmer, Le Pin

2000

Overall vintage rating ***(**)

I have long harboured serious doubts about this vintage, mainly because I am contrarian by nature, and I suspected that a lot of people were sucked in by the hype. I was also alarmed at how ‘new worldy’ some of these wines tasted before they shut down, Pichon Baron and Margaux being two examples. At our Chateau Margaux vertical in NYC in 2006 the Margaux 2000 tasted like a Napa Valley wine.  And shut down they did, and very hard. Most of the top 2000s I have tried are still very closed. Chateau Palmer, tried recently, displayed a gorgeous Palmer nose but the palate is very tannic and austere. Lesser wines like Citran, Batailly, a Gaffaliere and Domaine De Chevalier, have abrasive tannins and are really hard work and unpleasant to drink right now.

However I was heartened to taste Pichon Baron again, which has emerged on the other side, as it were, as a classic, structured claret, with all the ingredients to evolve into a great wine. So in hindsight I think a lot of these wines, once they shed their puppy fat, shut down hard, but will come good. Eventually. But a lot of patience will be required with this vintage.  A lot. Hence the ***(**) rating: this vintage is not drinking anywhere near its potential. I have a fairly eclectic mix of 2000 Bordeaux, but when it came to the first growths or their equivalents, I really baulked at the prices and aimed a bit lower. But I generally have first growths and by the bottle or three/six packs and cases of wine like Montrose, Beychevelle, Ducru Beaucaillou, La Tour Haut-Brion, Clos Fourtet and VCC.

At this stage of development the 2000 vintage seems to be stronger on the left bank than the right bank. In my experience 1998 and 2001 seem to be stronger right bank vintages. The vintage that 2000 probably most closely resembles is 1995, because like 1995 it will evolve glacially. But 2000 is even more structured, tannic and concentrated. Indeed more so than any of the great vintages of the late 20th century, including 1986. I doubt the top wines will be fully ready to drink before 2030.  The 2000 vintage competes with new mega vintages of 2005, 2009 and 2010. Of those three, 2005, and especially 2010, probably already have an edge. The 2009s are ridiculously exuberant at the moment, but I suspect they are about to shut down hard. Given the implied premium for 2000s and their awkward state of development, they are not really wines to seek out actively. Mouton 2000 for example, already commands a ridiculous premium, for a wine that is 20 years away from prime drinking. My focus instead has been on the 2001 vintage, which I will write about next when I jot down my thoughts on the 2001 to 2005 vintages.

Favourite clarets in 2000: Pichon-Baron, Vieux Chateau Certan

No comments:

Post a Comment