Wednesday 17 October 2012

Richard Katz

We knew he was very unwell and fighting against quite formidable odds, but news of Richard's passing on Sunday 7th October was a crushing blow. He had a unique, inspirational and generous personality and he touched the lives of people he met. Even those who did not know him well were devastated by the news as the Wine Pages board attests. I first met Richard around Christmas 2009 at a 'best of class' dinner at The Ledbury where he very generously brought along a Chateau Rayas 1978. I don't count myself as  one of his closest friends but I did get to know him quite well this year, and he showed great courage and optimism in the face of his condition. We had a memorable couple of conversations at his house over coffee, about anything and everything.

Richard every time I drink a glass of decent Northern Rhone I will think of you. And we will never forget you.

1 comment:

  1. This is Richard's daughter, Charmaine, I just came across your post and I wanted to say I am very touched by it. Still think of him every day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete