Friday 7 January 2011

Wine of the week: Revello Barolo Giachini 2001

I broke my 2011 duck with this beauty last night with my spaghetti bolognese. Popped and poured this is delicious straight out the gate - most 2001s I have tried have been much more backward and reticent than this. In this respect it is more like a 2000. Delicious, thick, lush and moreish, and quite high in alcohol (14.5% ABV) but fortunately none of the lingering afterburn I get in some of the Pira barolos (the 2000 Pira is 15% ABV). It has mocha, chocolate and plummy notes allied to classic aromas of tar and roses. With SpagBol this is one of the best food and wine combos and sends the pleasure monitor spinning wildly. This wine is not cheap (about $60 from memory) but freakin' delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment