Sunday 30 January 2011

Wine of the week joint award: Francesco Rinaldi Barolo Riserva 1961 and Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1985

How do you choose between the perfect barolo and the perfect claret? I wrote about the 1961 Rinadi Barolo Riserva Speciale in my previous post on our Friday (Jan 28) wine dinner in Manhattan. Last night (Saturday) we drank the Lafite from a half bottle, and here are my impressions:

This was a half bottle, which I bought recently from WH Franks in Long Island for $199 just before the Chinese got there. I must say it was very good value for money.



Healthy maroon colour, with the (now trademark) heavenly Lafite nose...it is stunning...lead pencil, cedar, cigar box, tobacco, mediterranean herbs, some green peppers. The palate was absolutely sublime...tannins quite resolved it was as smooth as silk, nuanced, very complex with a superb finish. It is all about under-stated brilliance, balance and equilibrium. The perfect glass of claret. I should imagine the bigger format 1985s would not be as good as this - or as ready; the bottle of 85 I had 2-3 years ago with Jono was much more structured and backward. It is not very often you can drink a perfectly resolved Lafite.

The point is this is a superb example (vintage) of Lafite...probably on a par with the 1989.

Drinking this I couldn't help cursing Ben Bernanke, Alan Greenspan and Hong Kong speculators. This may be the last time I drink a bottle of Lafite like this.

How dare these myopic ignoramuses at the Fed drive up the price of Lafite likes this? Look out: rant coming in a forthcoming blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment