Sunday 25 September 2011

Chateau Lynch Bages 1961

For my brother's 50th birthday in London on 25th September 2011, he turned 50 on 15th July but he lives in Singapore and I live in New York so I only see him twice a year.



It was top shoulder and the cork sheared and crumbled. Healthy bright maroon colour with some bricking around the edges but no brown. Funky, earthy, rusty, rustic, cedar, tobacco and pencil lead; old club leather, attic, church pew; autumn leaves, forest floor, barnyard and tea, pleasnt decaying overtons. Lively, expressive and expansive on the palate, with a pleasing tension and still stiff tannic spine, which sugggests this can last several more years. Clearly in its tertiary phase, but over time the wine firms up and puts on weight with charcoal and dark fruits notes; the last glass was the best, perhaps I should have given it more time or even decanted it.

We were lucky; this was a very good bottle. It was such a treat to drink; I would imagine that next to this Lynch-Bages 1989 would taste young, raw, primary and concentrated, and deliver less pleasure.

My mum, my brother and my daughter


My daughter and I


No comments:

Post a Comment